We’re happy to celebrate National Midwifery Week October 2-8, 2016. Join us in activities that will celebrate this wonderful method of care. The American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM) created National Midwifery Week to recognize and celebrate midwives and midwife-led care.
What is a midwife?
Many people are not familiar with what a midwife is and what it means to receive care from a midwife. Certified midwives are experts on pregnancy, childbirth, and how to best care for newborns. They help new mothers care for their newborn, breastfeeding support, and make those first days and weeks of your baby’s life as worry-free as possible.
Midwives are seeing more and more patients every year because they let women make decisions about their care and adapt to their needs and schedule. Midwifery limits intervention, lowers C-section rates, and only uses an OB/GYN when absolutely necessary.
Here at the Kaldas Center, our midwife, Katie Stam, believes in patient-centered care and empowers women to be an active participant in their health care – whether during pregnancy, before, or after. Katie is a board-certified nurse midwife. Katie truly embodies what a midwife should be.
Visit Katie’s page to learn more about her!
“The word ‘Midwife’ means ‘with woman’. I am so fortunate to have the opportunity to partner with women and their families during this incredible journey!”
- Katie Stam, Board-Certified Nurse Midwife, CNM, APNP
How You Can Celebrate
We encourage you to participate in National Midwifery Week by spreading the word about midwifery care and we’d love to hear your stories.
Some ideas from the ACNM of activities to do this week include:
- Familiarize yourself with the excellent resources available
- There are several resources available Midwifery & Women’s Health, Discover Midwifery Care at http://www.ourmomentoftruth.com/Resources
- Kaldas Center Resources:
- Share Your Story!
- Was there a moment when you realized midwifery was right for you? Did you have a birth experience that led you to midwifery? Share your story on the Kaldas Center Facebook page, or Discover Midwifery Care at OurMomentofTruth.com, then share the link to your story with your social media networks. #MidwivesMakeADifference.
- Take Care of You!
- Midwives strive to support women’s health in all aspects and self-care is just as important and getting good care from a health professional. Take some time out this week to go for a walk, eat healthy snacks, treat yourself to time with friends, or just relax!