Uterine prolapse is a fairly common condition that occurs when a woman’s uterus falls or slides from its normal position and into the vaginal area. You should learn all your options. Call us to schedule an appointment at our Center in Appleton. We’re within easy driving distance of Neenah, Green Bay, Oshkosh and surrounding areas.
Symptoms can be very uncomfortable and may include:
A uterine prolapse happens when the muscles and ligaments that hold the uterus in place become weak.
- Decrease in muscle tone because of aging
- Chronic coughing
- Chronic constipation
Treatment options vary on the severity of the case. There are non-surgical options and surgical options to treat a uterine prolapse.
- A mild case of uterine prolapse can be treated with regular exercise including Kegel exercises. Kegel exercises tighten your pelvic muscles.
- Vaginal pessary is a plastic doughnut-shaped device that is place under the uterus to help prop it up. Once inserted by a healthcare provider, the vaginal pessary must be cleaned frequently and removed before intercourse.
- Estrogen replacement therapy (ERT) which is taking estrogen to replace the estrogen lost.
- Hysterectomy which is the complete removal of the uterus.
- Uterine suspension that puts the uterus back into place.
If untreated, uterine prolapse may interfere with bowel, bladder, and healthy sexual function.
From the day I met Dr. Kaldas he made me feel hopeful and put all of my fears of never becoming a parent at ease. He wasted no time and performed all the diagnostic tests possible to help him (and us) understand why I was not getting pregnant on my own. After getting the results he quickly put me on the medication I needed and provided us with all of the information necessary to improve our chances. Fast forward to today, as I am only 1 month away from giving birth to our first child, and I must say I wouldn’t be at this point without the help and knowledge of Dr. Kaldas.- Lucy / WI